Location: London, ON
JOB TITLE: Controller, Ontario
The Controller is responsible for providing key financial insight and strategic recommendations and for overseeing financial policies, processes and internal controls. Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Controller will be responsible for the effective oversight of the accounting department including; accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, budget management, regulatory and financial reporting. Along with the responsibilities and requirements specific to this role, you are also expected to abide by and encourage Start’s Code of Conduct, helping to strengthen our trusting and positive work environment.
This proven financial leader will lead the budget preparation, coordination of the year end audit, maintenance of internal control procedures, preparation of monthly financial statements and the development/review of monthly general ledger reconciliations for all G/L accounts.
The Controller will review, analyze, and ensure compliance for government filings while remaining current with all federal, provincial, and other regulatory requirements. With attention to detail, this financial professional will review and update financial policies and procedures while maintaining all corporate accounting systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide thought leadership and direction to the Finance team, which is responsible for accounting and payroll.
- Deliver monthly reporting and analysis of financial results to ensure key issues, risks, and business drivers are clearly understood and highlighted.
- Partners in the financial planning process, and the underlying financial forecast models, systems, and tools.
- Collaborates with Director of Finance and team on the year end audit, including the financial statements and all working papers.
- Analyze and monitor critical financial performance metrics, and communicate actionable insights to relevant stakeholders.
- Advise ongoing improvement to the Company’s policies, procedures and internal controls.
- Other appropriate responsibilities relevant to the role today and the role as it may evolve.
- Degree/Diploma in Finance, Commerce, Accounting, or a related program of study,
- CPA and/or CMA designation.
- 3-5 years of progressive business finance or corporate planning experience.
- Data driven and analytical with an understanding of how financial analysis and goal setting can help drive growth initiatives.
- Able to challenge current processes and creatively engage others to improve processes for efficiencies.
- Strong communicator with the ability to build trusting relationships with internal teams and leaders quickly and effectively.
- Collaborative team player with exceptional organizational, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Excellent problem-solving and evaluative skills with the ability to multitask, adapt to changing priorities, be decisive under ambiguity, and meet tight deadlines.
Who is Start.ca?
- We are a telecommunications company located in London, ON and we provide internet, television and phone solutions.
- We are devoted to delivering a world class customer experience with each and every customer interaction.
- At Start.ca, we live by our core values: Friendly, Smart, Honest, Reliable, Forward and Involved.
- We have a dynamic, reputable, and FUN company culture - it’s what brings our employees here and keeps them here.
- As we grow, we want our employees to grow with us through our career advancement opportunities and continuous professional development.
Diversity is important to us, and we believe our differences make us a better company. Our differences help us to be innovative, with new attitudes, new processes, and new solutions to difficult problems. We respect our differences and this respect is shared throughout our culture.