Location: London, ON
Start.ca is currently looking for a highly talented Fibre Installation Manager to join our growing team! As a Fibre Installation Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing the fiber installation and in-building wiring work completed by all sub-contractors and London Fiber Network (LFN) Installation Technicians, ensuring quality and construction standards, along with safety standards, are met throughout on-going installations.
The Fibre Installation Manager will also track and report day-to-day installation activity and implement project plans and schedules, ensuring installation projects are completed on time. The Fiber Installation Manager is also accountable for the scheduling and productivity of the LFN field technicians, as well as the Installation Projects portion of the Capital Budget. Along with the responsibilities and requirements specific to this role, the Manager is also expected to abide by, and encourage, Start’s Code of Conduct, helping to strengthen the trusting and positive work environment.
What you’ll be doing:
• Oversee fiber optic installations for all residential and business customers, ensuring installations are completed in accordance with specifications, approved plans, technical standards, and approved budget costs.
•Oversee all in-building wiring in MDUs and Townhouses, including building feeds, risers, and hallway wiring, ensuring the wiring is completed in accordance with specifications, approved plans, technical standards, and approved budget costs.
• Organizing work schedules to ensure sub-contractors and Installation Technicians have the required materials, project supplies, and drawings to complete their tasks in a timely manner, and in accordance with project plans and deadlines.
• Reviewing installation projects for execution, ensuring plans are matched and required resources are aligned.
• Reviewing, tracking and reporting on capital spending for the installation projects.
• Communicating inventory and equipment issues, ensuring all company equipment and resources are available, maintained, and repaired when needed.
• Reviewing work progress with management and provide project reporting that accurately tracks site progress, inspections, and other relevant information.
• Attending project meetings with internal and external stakeholders to monitor and report on the ongoing progress of the installation projects.
• Providing guidance to installation staff and sub-contractors, ensuring the daily/weekly and monthly installation completion goals are met.
• When required, meet with customer’s on-site, explaining site work and answering any questions.
• Supporting fiber field teams in the event of emergency restoration of the fiber network.
• Overseeing LFN staff performance in accordance with the LiUNA Collective Agreement, and Start’s People and Culture practices, including the progressive discipline process when required.
• Maintaining a safe work environment by following all required Federal and company guidelines, codes, standards, and legal requirements that may be applicable.
• Other appropriate responsibilities relevant to the role today and the role as it may evolve.
What we are looking for:
• 5+ years of experience working in a similar role within a fiber optic installation environment.
• Degree/Diploma in Construction Management, Civil or Electrical Technologist, or a related program of study, or equivalent experience.
• Proven leadership skills with the ability to guide and motivate others.
• Strong communicator with the ability to connect, both verbally and in writing, with multiple stakeholders, interpreting their needs and identifying solutions.
• Capable of anticipating fiber optic installation issues and creating solutions in the installation plan and schedule.
• Strong understanding of fiber optic construction and installation documents (including utility plans, splice drawings and maps), current construction practices, and construction building code and utilities guidelines.
• Knowledge of various pieces of fiber optic construction equipment and their operating capabilities (i.e. directional drills, boulevard trenching, vac trucks, road cut saws, etc.).
• Strong organizational and planning skills coupled with the ability to manage competing priorities.
• Telecommunications engineering and design experience is considered an asset.
• Hands-on experience working with fibre optic cable is considered an asset.
• Valid G level driver’s license and able to provide a driver’s abstract to meet CVOR requirements.
• Health and Safety certifications in Working at Heights, Book 7 - Work Area Protection, First Aid, and WHMIS an asset (note that all certifications are required for this position, but would be provided as part of training).
• Able to safely lift and carry items weighing 70lbs or more.
• Able to safely maneuver, set up, and use a 30ft extension ladder.
• Able to perform computer work and other fine motor movements for up to 80% of each shift.
• Comfortable working at heights and in confined spaces.
• Comfortable working outdoors in varying weather conditions.
• Working safely, and following all required Provincial and Federal guidelines that may be applicable.
What we offer:
• We live by our core values: Friendly, Smart, Honest, Reliable, Forward and Involved.
• We have a dynamic, reputable, and FUN company culture - it’s what brings our employees here and keeps them here.
• As we grow, we want our employees to grow with us through our career advancement opportunities and continuous professional development.
• Pay per performance compensation philosophy.
• Group Retirement Savings Plan with company matching.
• Comprehensive flex option health & dental benefits & life insurance.
Diversity is important to us, and we believe our differences make us a better company. Our differences help us to be innovative, with new attitudes, new processes, and new solutions to difficult problems. We respect our differences and this respect is shared throughout our culture.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!